Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

Chicken!

A few months back I heard about a company that purchases large quantities of food, trucks that food to pre-determined areas, and sells it.  I also heard that they were coming to my neck of the woods. 

So, I plunked down (via the internet) my $67 for forty pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  This is "natural" chicken-- no additives, hormones, or artificial ingredients.

On pick up day my sister and I drove to the designated location with our receipts in hand.  We pulled up to the semi that was waiting, told him what we had purchased.  He checked our names off his list, and loaded up two big boxes (80 pounds!) of chicken into our trunk for us.  We drove away, and that was that.

My sister dropped me off at home, and the challenge began.  What to do with 40 pounds of chicken!  )(Hands down, these were the largest chicken breasts I've ever seen.  Very little fat.  Nice, plump, and juicy.)

I froze some of it for skinney-dippin' chicken.

I made some of it into chicken strips.

I cooked some of it and froze it in casserole form.

We ate some of it.  (Yummy!)

But I ended up dicing most of it and canning it in pint jars.

Someone's sick and needs some of Mom's chicken noodle soup... open a jar.

Want to add some chicken to that casserole... open a jar.

Want to make a quick stir-fry... open a jar.

Want to make chicken salad sandwiches... open a jar.

You get the idea.  It's been absolutely wonderful to have jars of good, already-cooked chicken breast on hand.  That's why, when I heard that Zaycon Foods was coming back to our area, I purchased another 40 pound box of chicken.  Yes, it takes awhile to cut it up and get it in the canner, but it's "oh-so-worth-it!"  In addition to the chicken we ate, I ended up with over forty pints of diced, cooked chicken!  Yummy!

If you've never heard of Zaycon Foods, check them out.  They also sell ground beef, bacon, turkey, pork, fish, and fruit.  (It all depends on what they can get inexpensively to pass along to their customers.)

And no, I'm not getting any kick-back for writing a review of this company.  It's just that I've been so pleased with my purchases from them that I wanted to share them.

No comments:

Post a Comment