Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

Light Painting!


As many of you already know, I love geocaching.  ~smile~  It's fun to match wits with someone to see if I can find something they have hidden.  Or to see if I can solve a puzzle that they have made.  I enjoy spending time with my good friends while driving to a cache location or hiking the trails to a cache.  I enjoy visiting new parks and seeing things I never would have seen otherwise.

But another fun part of geocaching is meeting other geocachers.  Most of them are a lot like us.  They enjoy spending time with people.  They enjoy being outside.  They enjoy the "thrill of the hunt."

Geocachers have many opportunities to get together.  One such opportunity was last weekend.  One of our local geocaching teams, AddHam, decided that we needed to try our hand at light painting.  I had never heard of it before, but I was game to give it a try.

The rendevous point was a large tunnel about twelve miles from our home.  The tunnel ensured that we would have darkness.  (Not that we often see the moon in Michigan in the winter!)  Everyone brought their own flashlight, and the geocachers in charge supplied colored gels (flexible pieces of plastic stuff) and rubber bands so that we could rubber band the gels over our flashlights.  This is what would make the different colors in the picture.

They had also built some frames from wood and had put wires in them so that the "artists" merely had to trace the wires with their flashlights.  Some of the shapes needed to be colored in.

The person manning the camera had it set on a tripod and the shutter was open for a long time.  I would guess that to paint the whole thing took 3-4 minutes.

The result was the above picture.

Wayne and I had fun trying our hand at this and are looking forward to further light painting events hosted by AddHam.  While this did take a lot of prep work, if you're looking for a memorable group activity, this might be exactly what you're looking for!

No comments:

Post a Comment