Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Recipe - Sausage Skillet Supper

I ran across this recipe in an old Taste of Home magazine, and I can't count how many times I've made it since.  I like to buy the sausage when it's on sale.  Sometimes it's in a one-pound package, sometimes it's the 12-ounce package.  It really doesn't matter.  But when it's on sale, I'll stock up and put it in the freezer.  Everything else is stuff that lines the shelves of our pantry.  And as a bonus for us, I made up a bunch of salsa a couple years ago that we really didn't care for.  But, I didn't want to throw it out either.  It works perfectly in this recipe! 

1 pound bulk pork sausage (I use the hot stuff.  It's really not that hot when mixed with other stuff.)
1 can (14.5-ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained  
1 can (16-ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 C uncooked rice
1 C water
2/3 C picante sause or salsa

Cook, crumble, and drain the sausage.  Add everything else.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat.  Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender.

That's it!  I hope you enjoy it as much as our kids do!

No comments:

Post a Comment